Saturday 20 July 2013

Flax Meal Pancakes




Pancakes are one of my favourite things to eat. No, they really are... I love them in all their forms - fluffy, crepes, savoury or sweet. One of my favourite childhood memories is eating crepes made by my dad. I'd cover them in butter, lemon and sugar and roll them up and cut them into pinwheels.  The more lemony the better! 

When I changed to LCHF, I thought I would have to give up my beloved pancakes. Thankfully, I was wrong.  These little puffy delights are made with flax meal (is there anything you can't make with flax?!). They take minutes to make and, while heavier than your standard, white flour pancake, they are extremely delicious...and filling!

Just be careful of the toppings you use. I usually measure out some blueberries (you don't need very many), and put them on the top of my pancake with butter, cinnamon and 5ml of pure maple syrup (my one sugar treat).

Some people say life is too short to measure out 5ml of maple syrup. I say, life is probably going to be shorter if you don't! Seriously though, pure maple syrup (not "maple style syrup" or "maple flavored syrup") is full of minerals and other healthful goodies. However, no matter how you look at it, it is still a sugar, and it is still full of carbs. I figure though, my 5ml once or twice a month (as my only added sugar) is fine.

Similarly, cinnamon is so very healthy (and another of my favourite things) but, surprisingly, it is very high in carbs at about 6 carbs a tablespoon. The health benefits probably outweigh the high carb level, but don't go nuts.


Serves: 3

6 tbsp of flax meal
3 eggs
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp water (add more if mixture thickens)
1 - 2 tsp sweetener  (Optional)

Mix everything together. Cook in frying pan in butter on medium heat, approximately 3 minutes each side or until cooked through,

Per serve: 131 cals, 6.7gm fat, 11.3 gm protein, 1.2gm carb, 4.3gm fibre.

Recipe from Low Carb Friends


No comments:

Post a Comment