Tuesday 30 July 2013

Donut Holes



I bought a cake pop maker. What I really wanted to buy was a donut maker but, after searching high and low at the local shopping centre, a cake pop maker was the closest thing I could find. And, honestly, I just couldn’t wait the months it could take for donut makers to come back in vogue and hit the shelves again.

See, after pancakes, donuts are one of my favourite things to eat. Yes, they are carbage with little to no nutritional value, but I like them. A lot. (Which probably goes some way to explain how I got so overweight to begin with!). Anyway, when I came across some low carb recipes for donuts using no grains or sugar, I knew I just HAD to try them. Immediately.

So cake pop maker it had to be.

I tried my first batch of these grain free/sugar free babies last night. Turns out my cake pop maker makes great donut holes! I didn’t ice or glaze them, instead rolling them in a little bit of cinnamon and some powdered erythritol. Next time I will try icing.


Serves: 28* (depending on the size of your donut/cake pop maker holes)

1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup powdered erythritol (or alternative sweetener)  
2 tbsp vanilla whey protein powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/8 cup cream mixed with 1/8 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract


In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, erythritol, protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
Stir in melted butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
Fill donut/cake pop maker according to instructions and bake until donuts are lightly browned and set.
Repeat with any remaining batter.
Place extra powdered erythritol and cinnamon in a medium bowl and roll cooked donut holes in mixture to coat.

*How many donuts you get will depend on the size of your donut/cake pop maker

Batch: Carbs 16.3gms, Protein 68.4gms, Fat 120.9gms, Fibre 12.6gms, Calories 1,431gms Net carbs 3.7gms per batch!

Recipe adapted from All Day I Dream About Food


2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I love any kind of fried dough and yeah, I feel you....I did NOT get this size eating lettuce LOL I am on very low carb/keto at the moment but as soon as I can get nut flours back in I will give these a go :) Do you think I could use a Dutch miniature pancake (poffertje) pan to make these (see link)??
    Thanks for the recipe!
    http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http://www.poffertjesbakken.nl/img/poffertjespan.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.poffertjesbakken.nl/poffertjespan&h=377&w=300&sz=73&tbnid=qK0OU3S5AIrTzM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=75&zoom=1&usg=__XGnDqlKWBrD5YVPyvIMzpM_7AQg=&docid=IWFVlcQHjyo-2M&sa=X&ei=FuktUvGBKcSN7Aao9oCgCQ&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAw&dur=317

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they would work! I don't see any reason why they wouldn't!! Give them a go and let me know how they work out :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete